Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Do People Use Pencils Anymore?

I overheard a coworker today while on a sales call. She was at the point in the call where she was ready to give the person on the other line, her number, and she asked, "Do you have a pencil?"
It struck me odd, you just don't hear people ask if they have a pencil. Instead, it's usually, "Do you have a pen?"

If you're like me, and jeez, let's hope not, you used pencils a lot in school. K-12 for sure, and even college, but in my experience, I don't see many people whipping out pencils to jot down someone's number or to make a grocery list in the car on the way to the market. Adults rarely use pencils.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true. Sure, there are special circumstances in which a person may use a pencil. Maybe somebody who draws for a living, a designer or someone of that ilk, would possible maybe carry a pencil around instead of a pen, but as a whole, I'm going to stick to my assertion that most adults just don't use pencils.

No comments: